Product Review: e.l.f Lip Exfoliator

Wednesday, August 12, 2015
First of all, I don't really know how much I can write about a lip exfoliator. Secondly, this is probably the best three bucks I've spent in a while. There. I said it.



I've honestly wanted to try this out since it first launched a few years ago, but never found it in stores and didn't want to go through the hassle of spending more for shipping than I would for the product, so this cheap little thing has been on my covet list until last week when I found a ton at CVS. Score. The thing itself is a little weird because normally I see lip scrubs in little pots, a la LUSH lip scrubs, so the lipstick bullet design had me curious for years.



Upon first inspection, it's a pretty standard e.l.f studio product. Black packaging that could be slightly better quality, but gets the job done and doesn't look overly cheap. The product itself looks kind of like sand stuck in butter, and the taste/scent is kind of odd... it is sweet with a synthetic creme brûlée in both taste and scent, and I can look past it for the most part, but I don't particularly like the scent. 

More after the jump!

Now, this thing takes a few uses to get past the balmy layer that surrounds the gritty bits, which are mostly sugar crystals. I definitely recommend using it for what feels like an obscene amount of time the first time just to get past that coating, but everything on from there is increasingly smooth sailing... at least for your lips afterwards. For use, I'd say start with wet lips and gently try to sweep some product on your lips. If that doesn't seem to be working, lightly buff your lips in a circular motion with the bullet and then rub your lips together with any remaining product to get maximum exfoliation benefits. The exfoliant is safe to ingest and will go away with a lick of the lips. What really sets this exfoliator apart from others is the wonderful moisturizing balm that gets left over. 


In addition to the slightly repulsive scent, I do have a gripe with this product. The lipstick format just isn't working for me. Since I tend to exfoliate a little too joyously, I ended up breaking the bullet off at the base, so now I have to gingerly use it with it scrolled down as much as possible to avoid the whole thing ploping out on to the floor. I think that the design could be improved by using more of a lip balm format, but hey... e.l.f hasn't been known to change their packaging. 

TL;DR section:

Price: $3

Size: 0.16 oz, 4.4 g

Availability: eyeslipsface.com, Target, CVS, Walmart

Pros:
  • Convenient, no mess product
  • Excellent scrubby bits
  • Leaves lips moisturized afterwards
Cons:
  • The bullet format has a weak spot at the base of the product
  • The scent is a little off putting for me

Cruelty free: Oui, cherie!

Final thoughts: Regardless of the two little whines I have about the product, I've definitely overused it in the few days I've had it and I will be picking this up again because it's a quick, convenient, and super cheap lip exfoliator that won't leave bits of sugar everywhere.

More information about this product HERE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top