Pink Shock and Minty Sheer
The hype surrounding the Maybelline Baby Lips lip balm has stayed pretty consistent during the year or so that they've been on the market. Since Baby Lips and I seemed to get off on the wrong foot during the initial launch, I decided to pick up a few of the new snazzy looking Electro ones to see if there had been any improvements.
Well, to make a long story short; You can put a goat in a suit, but it's still a goat.
Swatches and review after the jump!
The new packaging for this line consists of black bullets with bright script on the clear cap that corresponds with the color of the lip balm. Other than that, these things are still housed in the somewhat excessive and rather cheap/flimsy packaging as the others. My main qualms I have in terms of packaging with these are that the plastic is very low quality and is thusly a bit brittle, and that the cap isn't the most secure thing in the world.
The color payoff on these are pretty much what you would expect from a very thin balm. Minty Sheer applies as a clear sheen, and Pink Shock is a sheer, yet punchy, fuchsia pink shade. Each shade also has their own respective scents and flavorings. Minty Sheer is, well, minty... whoda thunk? Pink Shock on the other hand kind of reminds me of Swedish Fish candies in both taste and smell.
Now, let's get down to what actually bothers me about these things, i.e. the formula:
- It's a very thin and almost greasy formula, which is something I don't exactly find pleasurable to have on my lips.
- The wear time for these things are pitiful, and I accredit that to the aforementioned thin and greasy formula. These will wear on my lips for 30 minutes if I'm extremely lucky. I'm aware that lip balms aren't the most steadfast things ever when it comes to staying power, but I really don't want to be constantly reapplying.
- I don't find them moisturizing whatsoever, which kind of defeats the purpose of a lip balm. I would actually go so far as to say the Pink Shock actually dries my lips out a bit, which brings us to number 4:
- The pigments used in Pink Shock kinda make my lips itchy. I don't know what it is about them, but they do. Irritating lip balm = no bueno.
Size: 4.4 g/0.15 oz
Availability: Drugstores, Ulta, and anywhere else Maybelline is sold
- Scents and flavorings are decent
- Minty Sheer has a pleasant cooling sensation
- Not moisturizing
- Irritates lips
- Very short wear time
- Cheap packaging
- Unpleasant and thin texture
Cruelty Free: No
If you're a Baby Lips fan and these work for you, sure... they'd be a fun little addition to your collection. However, I'm passing up on the rest of them, especially since I can get a tube of tried-and-true Chapstick for half the price.
Overall Rating: 2/10 because I like the contrast of the packaging and the minty tingle of Minty Sheer... other than that it's a big nope for me.